Dionne Buxton
CD Review
Lab #15
The long awaited songstress Whitney Houston is back with her chart-topping album “I look to you.” Houston's voice is already well-established across the world. One that many try to duplicate, but all fall short.
She is back with a statement proclaiming that she never left, and her album is worth the wait. Houston has had a tough life, and many say her obstacles have bled into her passion for this album. It is up to the public to decide. Whether this is a good thing or not, there is no doubt that this album captures the essence of Whitney Houston.
This comeback album is overseen by her mentor, Clive Davis, WHO brought with him some of the best producers - Akon, Stargate and Nate "Danja" Hills - and songwriters Diane Warren and Alicia Keys.
The CD still keeps Houston’s reputation of being able to juggle pop with her chart topping ballads, but her ballads are no longer risk taking, and her pop singles are not extraordinary.
The album starts with her second single “Million Dollar Bill.” The song has a nice beat that should get the younger crowd interested in the rest of the album. In my view, this sound might be a little too urban for the taste of Houston’s true fans. They might be more used to up-tempo hits like “I wanna dance with somebody.”
Her second track “Nothing but love” is an ode to all the people who hurt her in the difficult time she has recently experienced, and also to those who have stood by her. “Here I sit by my window thinking about all the things that I´ve been through, There were times where I never thought I get to where I got to, Had some angels to guide me, someone to lay on all my love Now this is my chance to say ain´t got nothin but love.” This is one of the best thank-you notes that has ever been put to music.
She has not left her fans without any more inspirational songs. She also has “A Song for You,” “I didn’t know my Own Strength,” and the chart-topping single, “I Look to You.” Houston is known for her powerful lyrics, and this CD does her reputation justice.
Of course she is also known for her love songs that can fix any relationship, or make you strong enough to leave the one you’re in. Songs like: “Call You Tonight,” “For the Lovers,” “Worth it,” “Salute,” “I got you,” and “Like I never Left.” These songs will keep HER true fans happy in knowing that Houston has not lost her roots.
This CD is definitely worth adding to your classic collection. No, she can’t hit those high notes anymore, and her voice might not be that hard to duplicate anymore. But, she is still true to herself, and the spirit that her true fans fell in love with is alive and well.
No comments:
Post a Comment