Christine Whitten
October 26, 2009
Lab 15
O’Connell’s Irish Pub and Grille is Norman, Oklahoma’s hot spot for entertainment. This bar is known for its traditions: game days, St. Patrick’s Day, karaoke, Cinco de Mayo and “beer pong” are just a few.
This restaurant is owned by Jeff Stewart and was founded in 1968. “Three of my Fiji friends and I just randomly came up with the idea and made it happen,” Stewart said.
Apart from its traditions, O’Connell’s food, such as their hand breaded onion rings, wing sauce, and pizza/beer special keep people coming back regularly. The manager, Amanda Gorbet, said she hears comments such as, “I was told you have legendary onions rings and I had to come here while I was in town” or “I heard you guys throw huge parties for game days and I was told the one place I had to make it to while I was here for the game was O’Connell’s,” on a daily basis. O’Connell’s is not only known for their food but they are also known for their huge St. Patrick’s Day celebration.
Every St. Patrick’s Day, O’Connell’s opens its doors to the public a bit earlier than its usual 11 a.m. opening time. Serving green eggs and ham for St. Patrick’s Day breakfast has become another O’Connell’s tradition. Throughout the day several live bands perform in tents that the restaurant owners setup outside to increase the occupancy space. Just like St. Patrick’s Day, there is always a huge O’Connell’s party for football games. Similar to St. Patrick’s Day, O’Connell’s throws a Cinco de Mayo party.
Cinco de Mayo is a celebration that involves a lot of t-shirts, beer Mexican food, and music. During this celebration, all the restaurant’s Mexican beers are on special and it also serves special tequila shots with a worm. O’Connell’s is not just the place to go for holidays; they are also the perfect place to watch football.
Football season is when you will see O’Connell’s at its busiest! Several large screen televisions fill the bar and restaurant area. You do not have to be 21 years old to get in; so many families come in to watch the game with their children. Amanda said, Beer and wing specials attract people to watch the game at this restaurant. Some people cannot wait until Saturday to come party at O’Connell’s therefore; the bar has a Karaoke night mid-week.
Starting around 9:30 pm every Wednesday, O’Connell’s has Karaoke with no cover charge and $5 domestic pitchers. Similar to karaoke night, O’Connell’s has a “beer pong” night.
On Tuesdays, O’Connell’s holds “beer pong” tournaments. “Beer pong” is a game that requires you to throw your ping pong ball into your opponent’s cup of beer. Teams consist of two people and play an elimination round style of “beer pong.” They usually have pitcher specials on this night and they award prizes to the winners.
According to Eric Beaver, a senior who has been visiting O’Connell’s for over five years said, “I enjoy the fun atmosphere of the bar, there is always something going on, and if there isn’t then you can just hang out with your friends and play pool.” O’Connell’s and their traditions have been around for many years and will continue to live on for many more.
Word Count: 543
Sources:
Jeff Stewart- Owner
405-364-8454
Amanda Gorbet- Manager
918-640-7909
Eric Beaver- Patron
405-664-7092
No comments:
Post a Comment