Logan Liles
Seven months ago, Logan Liles went on a spring break trip that changed his life. A severe fall during a skiing accident in Durango, Colorado left him unable to move his legs, wrists or fingers.
It was the first day of spring break when Logan fell 200 yards from the bottom of a mountain. He said he was going down a blue slope for the first time, so he didn’t know the conditions. He was riding fast when he hit some ice and flew backwards, hitting his head and whiplashing his neck.
“I was unable to move and didn’t know what to do. I was not able to breathe very well because my diaphragm was not working to its capacity. I tried to scream, but it was a whisper. I was sitting
there for five minutes, but it seemed like forever,” Logan said.
After the ski patrol came to retrieve him, Logan spent the next couple of months rehabilitating in Colorado with his family. He also had immediate support from his friends, who went to Colorado to be with him after the accident.
“Logan is such an inspirational person. He's always in a great mood and has an infectious smile that makes him a joy to be around. At the hospital you could tell that the doctors thought very highly of him and that his personality had won them over, just like it has everyone who has met Logan,” Dana Saathoff, a friend of Logan, said.
What makes Logan's optimism even more remarkable is the fact that what used to be effortless, mundane tasks are now a challenge. Apart from using a wheelchair, his everyday life has also changed drastically. “I have to get up two hours earlier than I usually had to. Writing is harder. Everything is more of a challenge now,” Logan said. However, he allows his disabilities to enable him rather than limit him, leaving no room for pessimism.
Logan says his parents, 14-year-old brother Lane and friends are always encouraging him, helping him retain his positive attitude. He is also a member of Phi Delta Theta, which, he says, bends over backwards to help him. The fraternity built a room with special features to accommodate his needs.
“I think Logan’s positive attitude about life has impacted me and the rest of the guys in the fraternity by making me appreciate the simple things that I take for granted. His situation has made me realize that I need to be more thankful for the skills and abilities that God has blessed me with,” Jeff Hankel, a friend of Logan’s and a member of Phi Delta Theta said.
In addition to his family and friends, Logan says his faith in God is what keeps him going. “God has a big thing to do with it. I may not have a reason for this, but God does. I feel like other people keep me going. I don’t want others to see me down,” Logan said. He added that he wants to help others by having a positive outlook on life.
Logan is now back in school, attending classes. He is a civil engineer major and wants to get involved in more organizations on campus. He says, in future, he would like to help those who face similar injuries as he does.
No comments:
Post a Comment